How to apply lipstick? Tips to apply lip color like a pro and make it long-lasting!
A pop of color on your lips can brighten up any dull day. But applying lipstick perfectly is not that easy. It might get tricky at times and you might end up with something horribly wrong. We will share with you some tips and tricks to perfectly apply lipstick like a pro. These tips will also help your lipstick stay put and make your look gorgeous with long lasting results. We will also share with you the beauty regime that you have to follow before applying lipstick so that your lipstick lasts longer.
1. Exfoliate your lips It is important to exfoliate your lips before applying the lipstick so as to get rid of any dead skin cells and to make your lips feel softer. Gently brush your lips using a damp toothbrush in circular motions and then rub them with a damp towel. Or you can use a homemade lip scrub using one part oil (preferably olive oil, coconut oil or jojoba oil) and one part sugar.
2. Moisturize your lips After exfoliation, you need to moisturize your lips with some lip balm. Apply the lip balm generously on both your upper and bottom lip. The lip balm will soften your lips and make your lips smooth enough for the lipstick to be applied evenly. Opt for a waxy, non-oily lip balm so that there is not much oily residue on your lips. But if necessary your can also wipe off the lip balm before applying the lipstick.
3. Prime your lips with foundation Priming your lips with foundation will help bring out the natural color of the lipstick. Otherwise, a lot of times the original color of the lipstick does not appear the same once you apply it on your lips. but it is not necessary. Use the same color that you use on the rest of your face, and apply it with a makeup sponge. Be sure to smile while doing this; it will help you fill in all the little cracks.
4. Apply lip liner Choose a lip liner that is a bit darker than your lipstick if you are going to wear a bold color, otherwise choose one that matches with your lipstick. Using a lip liner prevents the lipstick from bleeding. Also, you can make your lips appear bigger or smaller by the way you apply it. To make them appear smaller, apply it inside the lip line, and to make your lips appear bigger, apply it outside the lip line. You can also make your lips appear wider by extending the lip liner past the corners of your lips. To make them appear narrower, apply the lip liner inside the corners of your lips. Apply the lip liner accordingly and then proceed to grab your favorite lipstick.
5. Choose your lipstick When you choose a lipstick, always remember that the lip color should complement your skin tone. If you are pale skinned opt for a light pink or neutral color, and if you are dark skinned use bold colors. Those who have medium skin complexion can opt for mauve or plum colors. If your lips are naturally dry, you should steer clear of matte lipstick, as it will further dry your lips. Also, if you have thin lips, use light colors instead of dark ones to make them appear larger.
6. Apply lipstick Start applying the lipstick from the center of your lips. You can use the lipstick directly, or use a brush to apply it. Starting from the middle of your lips, move outward, filling in all the gaps. Using a brush to apply the lipstick will give you more precision. The first coat is the base, now, apply another coat to get long lasting results and an intense color. How to get long-lasting lipstick? After applying the lipstick, blot the insides of your lips by sticking a finger into your mouth. Close your lips around your finger and then pull out your finger. This trick will prevent the lipstick from getting on to your pearlies. Now dust your lips with powder to make it long-lasting. Use a tissue paper and press it against your lips before dusting translucent setting powder. Do this after the first coat of your lipstick and then apply the second coat. Clean the outer edges of your lips using a concealer that matches your skin tone. Using a brush outline your lips and blend it outwards, this will also prevent your lipstick from smearing and make your lips appear more prominent. If you want to highlight your cupid’s bow, use a highlighting pencil in
Do this after the first coat of your lipstick and then apply the second coat. Clean the outer edges of your lips using a concealer that matches your skin tone. Using a brush outline your lips and blend it outwards, this will also prevent your lipstick from smearing and make your lips appear more prominent. If you want to highlight your cupid’s bow, use a highlighting pencil in a white or ivory shade and draw above your lips. This will accentuate your cupid’s bow. If you want to further make your lips appear plumper, use some shimmer with lip gloss over your lipstick. This will not just add some shine but also make your lips appear plumper. But make sure that you do not dab it all over your lips but just in the center of your bottom lips to give an illusion of plumper lips.